Tory MP Charlie Elphicke ‘confident’ of proving innocence after sex offence claims
A Tory MP facing allegations of sexual offences involving two of his staff members has said he is “completely confident” of proving his innocence.
Charlie Elphicke was suspended by his party in November after the “serious allegations” came to light.
Writing on Twitter, the Dover MP said he would now be able to defend himself after learning what the claims were.
He denied any wrongdoing when news of the claims came to light and said he did not know what the allegations against him were at the time.
It was some 5 months before I was made aware of what the “allegations” against me were. Now I know, I am completely confident I will be able to prove my innocence. I will continue to defend myself vigorously for as long as necessary.
— Charlie Elphicke (@CharlieElphicke) April 14, 2018
The alleged female victims were interviewed by police earlier this year, according to The Sunday Times.
Officers also spoke to Mr Elphicke under caution on 12 March, which he claims was the first time he was made aware of the nature of the allegations.
“It was some 5 months before I was made aware of what the ‘allegations’ against me were,” he wrote.
“Now I know, I am completely confident I will be able to prove my innocence. I will continue to defend myself vigorously for as long as necessary.”
The MP told the Mail on Sunday he had made “repeated requests” to learn the details of the allegations following his suspension.
“I met with the police on March 12 (and) was then told for the first time the nature of the allegations made against me,” he said.
“Until that point I had no idea whatsoever of the allegations which had led to my having the Conservative whip suspended in early November 2017, despite my repeated requests for clarification to both the chief whip and the police.”
The Metropolitan Police confirmed an interview had taken place but did not give any further details.
A spokesman said: “On 12 March, 2018, a man was interviewed under caution, by appointment. The interview was in connection with an ongoing investigation being carried out by the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command into alleged sexual offences.
“The interview took place at a police building. At this stage in the investigation the MPS will not comment further.”